What is the FemtoLASIK operation in Egypt?
The femtoLASIK procedure is different from the normal LASIK procedure in that the treating physician does not use the traditional blades and surgical instruments that are used to create a flap on the outer surface of the cornea, and instead uses two types of lasers, one to create the flap and the other to correct the error. femtoLASIK procedure in Egypt is also known as the blade-free lasik procedure.
Are there any conditions for femtoLASIK procedure?
Before deciding to perform any operation, your ophthalmologist will first examine your eyes and ask you a series of very important questions to make sure that you are ready for the procedure. Similarly, the indications for the procedure are not very different from the conditions for normal LASIK procedure, i.e. every patient that is eligible for the normal LASIK operation is qualified. Regardless of the patient’s readiness, some medical studies have shown to prefer femtoLASIK over traditional LASIK, to avoid its possible complications as a result of the use of a bladed microkeratome on the surface of the eye.
What is the mechanism for femtoLASIK?
In the femtoLASIK procedure, the doctor uses a type of ultra rapid laser known as the femtosecond laser to create a thin outer flap of corneal tissue, then uses another type of laser known as eximer laser to reshape the corneal tissue under this flap to correct the patient’s eyesight, and then elevated flap is returned to its original state after the corneal tissue is treated beneath it.
Advantages of using femtoLASIK
Recently laser operations in the field of ophthalmology have gained a wide reputation and popularity among doctors and patients alike, and have become one of the most important methods used in the treatment of visual problems and freedom from glasses and contact lenses , because of its multiple features,
The most important of these features are:
- The high speed and precision of the femtosecond laser, which makes it a safe alternative to microkeratome blades used in normal LASIK operations, and avoids complications of traditional treatments.
- FemtoLASIK is completely painless, an important feature that is not available in many other therapeutic modalities.
- Laser technology gives greater control precision, and accuracy than other means.
- High-speed laser technologies also allow meticulous control of the thickness of the surface corneal flap, providing better chances of correcting vision with never before seen results and accuracy
- The femtosecond laser allows the doctor to deal with each case with high individuality and custom tailor the treatment according to your needs, giving you the maximal visual results, and does not have to generalize one method of treatment for everyone.
- Another important feature of femtoLasik is that it absorbs relatively weak corneal fish conditions without fear of bad complications.
- With the development of laser techniques, the risk of scars on the surface of the cornea or eye exposure to corneal nerve injury and dry eye caused by microkeratomes has decreased, classifying it as a safer technique.
Tips after the FemtoLASIK procedure
After the procedure, the patient is advised to abide by some recommendations and instructions to complete the success of the operation and achieve the desired results, the most important of which are:
- Be careful not to expose the eye to dust and wind for at least three days.
- Be careful not to be exposed to extreme lighting, sunlight and high heat sources.
- Make sure that water does not enter the eye for at least three days.
- Be careful not to expose the eye to the radiation of electronic devices and smartphone screens for one to three days after the procedure.
- Take the recommended treatment from your doctor regularly and seriously as these eyedrops very important for the success of the surgery.
What is the cost of the FemtoLASIK operation in Egypt?
As is known in the medical field in general, the cost of any operation varies greatly according to the hospital fees, the procedure done, materials used, as well as the skill, experience, and knowledge of the treating doctor and his scientific qualifications and the balance of his previous successful operations.
The cost of the Lasik operation
What is the difference between the FemtoLASIK procedure in Egypt and the FemtoSMILE?
FemtoLASIK surgery in Egypt:
As mentioned earlier, the femtoLASIK procedure is different from the normal LASIK in that the your ophthalmologist does not use the surgical blade in the femtoLASIK procedure to remove the surface flap from the corneal tissue. In this procedure a type of laser known as the femtosecond laser is used instead. In another type of laser vision correction, the femtoSMILE, the corneal flap is not created or elevated at all, but the femtosecond laser work is done directly without the need to separate corneal layers, and this is the difference between the two procedures femtoSMILE and femtoLASIK.
The LASIK procedure is divided into two main parts:
- Phase 1: The laser-designed eye phase, by removing a thin flap from the corneal surface of the cornea using a microkeratome blade in normal LASIK operations, and using femtosecond lasers again in femtoLASIK.
- Phase 2: The next stage of the elevation phase of the surface flap, after which the lasik device is used to adjust the degree of curvature of the cornea and its thickness, in order to correct the error.
This modern technique is used in the treatment of myopia in which femtosecond laser is used to separate a thin part of the corneal stroma called the lenticule and then the doctor removes this part through the pocket incision at the edge of the cornea through a partial thickness incision without the need to raise a flap at all
femtoSMILE is used in the treatment of myopia in the following cases
- In cases where the thickness of the cornea is lower than necessary to allow lasik or femto lasik operations.
- femtoSMILE is also used in cases where myopic errors are too high to be corrected using lasik or femtoLASIK.
When is the femtoSMILE better than the femtoLASIK?
Only the attending physician can determine the optimal or best treatment method for the patient, and in some cases it is better to use femtoSMILE instead of femtoLASIK according to doctor’s experience, knowledge and skill.
The doctor will make the decision to use femtoSMILE instead of femtoLASIK when the following conditions are met:
- low corneal thickness .
- Highly curved cornea.
- High degree of myopia.
- Low astigmatism
When the patient’s condition allows the use of femtoLASIK or femtoSMILE evenly, which is better?
In some cases, the possibility of using the two procedures is equivocal: femtolasik and femtosmile, i.e. the patient is ready for any of the two operations according to the results of the examinations and images performed by the doctor,The cost of the femtoSmile surgery in Egypt
The femtoSMILE procedure
- The femtoSMILE is minimally invasive and safe procedure, where the laser machine touches the outer surface of the cornea at a very light degree.
- The device then separates a very fine slice of the internal corneal tissues called a lenticule , opening a very small incision of about two and a half millimeters at the side of the cornea.
- The doctor then extracts the thin layer lenticule from the inside of the cornea, corrects the defects of the surface of the cornea and the degree of curvature
- Immediately after the surgery, the patient’s vision maybe blurred, and the vision gradually returns after the effects of the surgery subside and the patient begins to follow the doctor’s instructions for a safe and successful recovery plan.
After the femtoSMILE, the doctor gives some recommendations and instructions to the patient, the most important of which are:
- Rest your eye for up to a week, and do not engage in any stress-prone contact sports or focused activity, such as reading.
- Do not expose your eyes to excessively bright lighting, refrain from looking at electronic screens and smartphones, and refrain from watching TV as well, until the doctor allows you to do so after the necessary follow up.
- Do not expose the eye to dust, smoke and heat for a week or more as decided by your ophthalmologist.
- Refrain from using make up powders and cosmetics until the doctor allows the you to do so.
- Make sure that water does not enter the eye when washing the face or bathing at least during the first week.
- Do not expose the eye to sunlight, and protect the eye when you leave the house during the day by wearing sunglasses.